Hi! I’m Pierre Benayoun and I’m a French indie developer. I’ve been working on Activity tracking with Android for almost two years.
The results were not so good so I decided to dramatically change my strategy with a pivot.
I’m working on a beta version, so, what’s the next step?
This week’s GIF
What have I been working on last week?
Displaying dataVizz about your daily activities
Now that you’ve seen this screenshot, sulkiness and weakness are more understandable, no?
So, I tried to display a nice dataVizz about daily activities. It’s on the upper side of the screenshot. And yes it’s ugly and it doesn’t give information in a good way.
What bothers me the most is that it took two days to manage to display this. Two days ! I had to manipulate the size of each square and it was a nightmare.
And the result is not good :
- I decided to display the earlier activities in the bottom of the DataViz. It was technically complicated and…nobody does this. In Google Agenda for exemple the days « goes » from the top of the screen….
- The square (with bikes inside) are ugly. It’s, partially, because I draw the bikes with a fixed color. But they should be the same color as the background which is a gradient. It’s possible to do this, at least I think so, but I have to try and I don’t know if it’ll take me two hours…or two days.
- Beyond that, this DataViz is simply not a cool way to help understand data.
Hope and hurry
This screenshot was made two days before the writing of this post. I had the idea of this DataVizz some weeks ago. Seeing the « final » result was…not a happy moment. You have an idea, you really hope that it will help your app to make the difference and you have this crappy thing.
But the morning after the screenshot I had a idea of a nicer, useful DataViz. There was a new hope!
I was on a hurry and worked hard on it, but I didn’t manage to finish it on time to show you it today.
Hope it will be next week…See ya!
Statement of intent
My detailed plan to conquer the world is just there.
Get a nice daily (or weekly) digest.
What I need to do before next version
- Debrief my usage of animation: remove unnecessary ones and shorter the others.
- Manage Google Fit Data in background.
- Add subscriptions and advertisements to reports
- Finish the landing page for the app
What I want to add in the next versions
- Animated icons for activities
- Manually add activities (ex: « I do Zumba every Thursday at 7pm »).
- Food : huge work! User will be able to enter his food habits and will have equivalency like « You need 1H45 to eliminate this burger! ».
- Be awkwardly rich and create a charity organization
- Pay a glass of red wine to you the only one that have read all this functionality
Download Kilo-Meter trailer!
If you want to look at the interactive trailer just click on the picture below.
You will land on the (not sexy) Google Play page. You’ll just have to click on a button to register to the beta and get access to the classic Google Play interface.